Subject: RE: iriver H340 instability

RE: iriver H340 instability

From: Grant Hardy <grant_hardy_at_telus.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 16:14:35 -0700

> Grant Hardy wrote:
> 1) The unit still mostly plays files just fine. Is it DEFINITELY a hard
> disk problem or could it just need reformatting? Is there a way to test
> this out?
> From a command window, issue the following command:
> chkdsk e: /f
> where e: represents the drive letter of your Iriver. The program will
> fix any errors it can and then report the amount of bad sectors
> encountered.
>
> 2) If the drive needs to be replaced, a sighted person tells me that the
> pictures of hard drive replacement look extremely complicated. Is this
> true, and if so, are there places that will do this for you for a
> reasonable
> price?
> The pictures do look complicated, but the process is very
> straightforward. You literally take one drive out and replace it with
> another one; no unusual bracketing is needed. The only complicated
> procedure I've come across is when replacing the stock battery with a
> higher capacity one made for Ipods.
>
> Grant
> Steve
Hello, OK, I ran Chkdsk and got the following report.
1696 KB in 1 recovered files.
Windows has made corrections to the file system.
38,768,576 KB total disk space.
135,392 KB in 4,231 hidden files.
7,456 KB in 219 folders.
34,594,592 KB in 5,511 files.
4,031,104 KB are available.
32,768 bytes in each allocation unit.
1,211,518 total allocation units on disk.
125,972 allocation units available on disk.

So...no bad sectors were reported. I assume this is a good sign? Any
advice from here?

Grant