Subject: iPod 5G bricked very shortly after firmware+bootloader upgrade

iPod 5G bricked very shortly after firmware+bootloader upgrade

From: Nix <nix_at_esperi.org.uk>
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2007 19:49:45 +0100

So I upgraded my iPod's bootloader and rockbox with the all-new
ipodpatcher from rockbox 20061219 to 20070330.

It seemed to work fine, but yesterday I came down to find it plugged
into the USB and charging... but apparently off. Hitting on did nothing,
replugging the USB cable did nothing. Resetting via
lock/unlock/SELECT+PLAY did nothing.

I took it to the AppleStore for a warranty replacement, but checked it
before I got to the counter and found that it came up OK, but with
obvious signs of being terribly low on power (it came up and ran for
about 2sec before crashing with a half-painted interlace-patterned
screen).

So I took it back home without a warranty replacement (they'd of course
say it's not broken) and plugged it in again. I got the Apple battery
logo (`very low power, charging' is what I think it means).

Shortly after that I went up there again and, oh look, nonresponsive.

So it looks like as soon as it switches to the bootloader it's getting
killed somehow.

How do I diagnose this? How do I unbrick it? Was it really the bootloader
at fault? (It did after all work... briefly, but it's suspicious that
this happened less than a day after a bootloader upgrade.)

--
`In the future, company names will be a 32-character hex string.'
  --- Bruce Schneier on the shortage of company names