Subject: RE: Why Ipod Nano loads Apple firmware

RE: Why Ipod Nano loads Apple firmware

From: Carina en Peter Verhoeven <pverhoe_at_magnifiers.org>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 14:16:00 +0200

The hold switch is used to start the Apple firmware. From Chapter 3.1.2 of
the Rockbox Manual:

"Rockbox has a dual-boot feature. To boot into the original firmware, shut
down the device as described above. Turn on the 'hold' switch immediately
after turning the player on. Once Rockbox displays the message 'Loading
original firmware ...' you may turn the 'hold' switch off. Rockbox will boot
into the original firmware."

Are you saying that your iPod boots to the Apple firmware even if the hold
switch is off during the boot process?

Yes, that is what I'm saying. And this seems to happen after I didn't use
the Ipod for some hours. Until now I stopped the player in the evening. Push
the hold button to on. Next day I push th hold button to off, but before I
can press select or Menu to turn the player on in Rockbox mode, the Apple
firmware boots.

It sounds strange, but it is strange. It is also strnage the player uses a
lot of battery during those hours. I stopped in Rockbox mode with 100%
battery, next day after resetting theplayer to Rockbox battery status was
88%.

Regards Peter verhoeven