Subject: Re: Big ipod problem!

Re: Big ipod problem!

From: Dave Hooper <dave_at_beermex.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 22:31:19 +0100

> Hey guies haven't really posted to this list lately, but I have a real
> problem here.
> Yesterday morning when I connected my ipod Nano First Gen to my PC, I was
> told to format it by the computer
> If I didn't I couldn't really get it to the root of my ipod on the PC
> unless
> I formatted it
> Then after would's when I disconnected it through safely remove hardware,
> turned it on but It wouldn't do anything just froze and sat there as if it
> had just died.

You formatted your ipod? Then it probably won't work, because formatting an
ipod means removing everything that is on it. By formatting it, you removed
your music, and rockbox itself.

I don't know why your PC would tell you that you needed to reformat your
ipod. But once you had reformatted your ipod, it's deleted everything off
your ipod ...

> I couldn't put it in to disk mode because it just turned it self back on,
> tried again, again, again and again but it just went to it's usual state
> as
> it did as soon as I had disconnected it.

Try putting it into disk mode in the following way instead: Hold down the
center button and the top button to reset the ipod and as soon as the apple
logo appears, press and hold the center button and the bottom button, and
keep these buttons pressed until the ipod enters the disk mode. You may
need a sighted person to do this step reliably. You are in the recovery
disk mode if the ipod screen says "disk mode" in its title.

Once in the recovery disk mode, try running the Apple Restore Utility. If
this works, you should be able to reconnect your ipod and reinstall the
rockbox software. If the Apple Restore Utility does not work your ipod may
be faulty

Apple's instructions to enter disk mode are here:

Apple Restore Utility can be found here:
http://www.apple.com/ipod/download/

> Then today, I got someone to try and read the screen out to me and they
> said
> that it said on the screen:
> Rockbox bootloader version 1.0 and then it said the version number of the
> ipod boot loader and it then said rockbox bootloader erra!

The bootloader error was probably telling you that the bootloader could not
run Rockbox because when you formatted your ipod, you removed Rockbox from
your ipod! :-)