Subject: Re: what does "end of life" for ROMBOX mean in practice?

Re: what does "end of life" for ROMBOX mean in practice?

From: [IDC]Dragon <idc-dragon_at_gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 15:20:36 +0200

> I have an Archos Recorder V1. I'm on some post 2.5 CVS version. they
> come with .ucl, which I can click on, which claim to be burned into ROM.
>
> I have rombox. at least I think I do. I may have bootbox. who can tell?
> how do they tell? What difference does it make?

It makes a difference of about 150kB more available RAM because the code stays in ROM. More RAM means longer playtime due to less disk spinups. Also it gives more headroom for voice files. And it boots a tiny bit faster, because the decompression to RAM step is not required.

How to tell:
When you click that .ucl file again, it should complain that you can't reprogram the flash while running from it.

If you use rombox, you're definitely using bootbox as the alternative firmware. This was a prerequisite to make both fit in there.

> So I read from the devcon that Rombox can't go on, image sizes exceed
> limits. In practice, what does this mean?

It means you lose above benefits.

> * can I cut my own stripped down build which would/might fit?

Theoretically, yes.

> * walk back to older GCC

No, that'll make it larger.

You can solder in a larger flash chip, that's what I've done. Rombox will last for very much longer here...

> * if I want to keep up with current/head, how do I make that work
> * do I have to un-install rombox? if so, how?

You just do the "normal" update procedure. Unpack all the current version's files to your box, boot with F1 held to have it booing the new version from disk, flash it by clicking on the new .ucl file.

> explanation sought by confused/scared user...

Hope to have helped,
Jörg