Subject: Re: Problem recording on Ipod Video 5 gen 60GB

Re: Problem recording on Ipod Video 5 gen 60GB

From: Michael DiFebbo <medifebbo_at_rcn.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2007 12:26:56 -0400

Florian Bruhin wrote:
> Uh? Recording with a dock-connector-microphone is possible! Look at http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/IpodStatus#General_tasks for example.

I know that it is possible. I've done it. But the current
implementation is not really ready for the end user. If you look at the
link that you provided, you'll see that the description says, "Basic
recording functionality (line-in and mic on the 4g and Color/Photo,
line-in only on the 5g) is working and is in CVS but is missing
important features such as gain control and selection of different
samplerates. The current code also breaks playback after a recording is
made." This is why I said that Rockbox's implementation of recording
features is "far from complete" and that "for all practical purposes"
you cannot yet record. It is not impossible to record, but without a
gain control, the recording feature is not very useful.