Subject: Re: thanks, and some other questions and comments.

Re: thanks, and some other questions and comments.

From: Andrew Hart <ahart_at_dim.uchile.cl>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 10:24:35 -0400

Sorry about the lateness of this reply, but haven't had a chance to
sitdown and write it.

Paul Erkens wrote:
[snip]

> installing the cygwin environment for windows, like you advised. During
> setup, I encounter the following accessibility situation.
>
> When asked to choose which packages to install, the interface in
> cygwin's setup.exe is not clear to me. There are a few radio buttons on

[snip]

Two true. The package management screen in the Cygwin installer is
truly a crappy piece of work. It's mouse only with virtually no
keyboard support for doing anything important.

> However, having reached the bottom of the screen, there obviously are
> many more items, but I don't have a way to scroll down. Page down does
> nothing, neither does that work if I first click an item or cathegory,
> to make the list gain focus.
>
> Is there a visual element on the screen to scroll down that sighted
> users utilize? A scroll bar or something else? I checked, but my screen
> reader does not see it. It must therefore be a non-standard, custom
> windows control, if it's there at all. I need to know how to scroll the
> display down, in order to complete cygwin installation, so I can move
> ahead towards trying out the rockbox patch. Can you tell me more?

Yes. There are buttons on the screen for scrolling up and down. They
are represented by graphics hwich change when the mouse hovers over
them. The scroll-up button is located above the package list while the
scroll-down button is positioned below the list. I discovered this when
I got a working pair of eyes (attached to a live colleague) to look at
the installer and tell me what was what. I was able to label these
graphics--which tooka bit of mucking around--but now I can click on
them to scroll the screen. Using the Cygwin installer is now only a
little less painful than having a filling done at the dentist's, but it
is at least usable now. I haven't needed to use the installer for a
while now, but I think there are also graphics (if I remember correctly)
that appear after each package which indicate the current state
(installed or not). In contrast, the words which appear after each item
indicate the action to perform (uninstall, reinstall, etc.). If you
want, I can send you my JAWS .jgf file containing the labelled graphics,
but depending on your screen resolution, they may or may not work for
you. If you use a screen reader other than JAWS, I'm afraid my .jgf
file won't help you at all.

Hth,
Andrew.