Subject: Re: thanks, and some other questions and comments.

Re: thanks, and some other questions and comments.

From: Bluechip <csbluechip_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 00:16:22 +0100

At 05:59 11/06/2007, you wrote:
>RaZorbacK wrote:
>>It may be cool if someone could make a special installer
>>containing only the necessary packages? Couldn't it be solve our problem?
>
>We once had that, and it instead caused other problems, like not
>staying in sync with the original Cygwin distribution. It worked
>quite well for those who only wanted to compile Rockbox and nothing
>else. The biggest problem was that the installation file was rather
>big, and the author tried to keep it small by excluding as many
>non-vital packages as possible. As Rockbox evolved, more and more of
>those packages came to use, and the installation file had to be
>updated. It soon became quite a burden to handle that.
>
>Linus

I just don't have the time or the inclination to maintain it any
more. Linus summary is quite accurate. However, it DID take a 250MB
download-and-install-with-cygwin-setup down to "a 10MB download,
unzip, click setup - done".

If anybody ever wishes to take over the maintenance I am happy to
pass over all relevant work and tools and outline the procedure
required to update it - and even host it... Basically "run
sysinternals/filemon to track what files are used"

The only problem is (as mentioned above) knowing "of the files not
used which may be used in the imminent future"

Probably best to reply to me off-group if you are interested.

BC