Subject: Ogg Speex support

Ogg Speex support

From: Christopher Culver <crculver_at_christopherculver.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2007 15:57:21 -0000 (UTC)

I encoded some audio in Ogg Speex, but it will not play in Rockbox. The
file opens in the Now Playing screen, but there is no audio and the timer
is jerky.

Now, as far as I know, Speex is supported by Rockbox, and if I rename the
files to .spx, the suffix for plain Speex, Rockbox recognizes the format
as something it can play (though, of course, the playback still doesn't
work). I suppose that the problem is that Rockbox assumes that Ogg
containers will hold only Vorbis audio. It just doesn't expect Speex (or,
perhaps Theora video as well) inside an .ogg file.

So, is Rockbox support for Ogg Speex on the way? If not, is there any way
I can dump the Speex data out of the Ogg container into a plain .spx file?

I'm sorry if this has been discussed before. I'm currently backpacking for
six months (hence my purchase of a 30GB iPod Video) and have limited time
to search for previous references to this problem.

Christopher Culver