Subject: Re: Archos FM Recorder - charging problem

Re: Archos FM Recorder - charging problem

From: Glenn Ervin <GlennErvin_at_cableone.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 08:37:51 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "David" <dav-ped_at_frisurf.no>
To: "RB Maling List" <rockbox_at_cool.haxx.se>
Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2007 7:35 AM
Subject: Archos FM Recorder - charging problem

HI, all!
Yesterday, I received an Archos FM Recorder. When it arrived, it still held
some battery power, enough for me to transfer some music to the unit. Then
it ran out of power. Well, I thought, no problem, just pllug the charger
into the wall, and then your new player will be up and running. - That
s what I thought; but not the unit itself...:)

I have tested - with a multimeter - that there is power on the charger
s plug. And, when connedcting the unit to the charger, and pluging in the
headddset, I can hear a very low hyssing noise. But it seems there is no
charging power on the battery. Pressing the ON-button, causes the harddisk
to spin up, and immediately (within 1 sec) spin down, and the unit shots
itself off. Repeating the activity, results in the unit going on, but the
harddriveee doesn
t spin, and the unit shots off immediately. Just when it turns on, I can
hear two very low beeplike sounds, don
t know, if that is froom the drive.

Anyone in here, who could think of any work around? Since it had batteery
power when arriving, it must have beeen working with charging prior to
shipping. Is there any chance, for instance, that there is a contact point
in the unit, that has got a bit bend (through shipping process)? I migh be
asking foolish, but I find it a bit strange, that the unit stops charging
all that sudden.

In the same token: On my old JB recordeer v1, it was a pretty easy go to
change the hard drive. How complicated is that on the JBRFM? Any good advice
will be mostly welcome, as I want to put in a bigger drive on this unit.

THanks, everyone!
** Hi David,
I have found that the contacts in the Archos units may not be meeting the
battery correctly.
I would certainly try taking out the battery, and re-seating it. Battery
contacts have been a known problem for these units before. Usually it is
nothing serious, just a matter of positioning the battery correctly.
Let's hope that is all it is.
Glenn

Enjoy your summerday!

David