Subject: Re: Voice creation

Re: Voice creation

From: Woody Anna Dresner <wadresner_at_hawaiiantel.net>
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2007 12:48:07 -1000

Hi all,

I have been using Andre's voices for months, and have really
appreciated them. They have always been current (often more current
than those on the Rockbox site) and there has been a nice variety to
choose from. He has been providing a valuable resource to the
community that I know a lot of people have used and appreciated.
While I'm sure the developers involved have good reasons for what
they've done, it feels from my perspective as a not extremely
technical user as though a major change has been made, without
warning or explanation, and has left Andre incapable of creating
voices and me and others without a means for getting current voices,
locking those who use the voice out of current Rockbox builds. I felt
similarly when the menu structure was changed in March. When such a
major change is contemplated in the future, it would be really
helpful if some mention and explanation could be posted to this list
ahead of time, so at least everyone would know something big was
coming. Not all of us read the changelog constantly, and even when I
looked at it just now, it didn't say where one could get
target-specific voice files or learn how to make voice files under
the new system. A bit more information on the list and relevant links
in the changelog would really be helpful.

Thanks. I really appreciate what the devs are doing - it's just nice
to have the information needed to roll with the changes.

Regards,
Anna