Rockbox mail archiveSubject: Re: Cygwin tutorial!
Re: Cygwin tutorial!
From: Rocker <rocker_at_shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 14:29:58 -0600
Hi Sean you wrote:
Here is the Cygwin tutorial:
**Awesome dude. Thanks! May I suggest that you review for any errors and
----- Original Message -----
Here is the Cygwin tutorial:
This tutorial explains how to install Cygwin, setting up Cygwin to build
Getting and Installing Cygwin:
1. Get the Cygwin setup file at http://www.cygwin.com/setup.exe and
2. Press <enter> on the setup file, and press <enter> on "Run".
3. Press <alt+N> to move to the next screen.
4. Make sure the "Install from Internet (downloaded files will be kept for
5a. Type in the directory where you want Cygwin to be installed; default is
5b. Press <tab> twice and decide if you want to install for all the users on
5c. Press <tab> and make sure the "Unix / binary (RECOMMENDED)" radio button
6. Type in where you want your Local Package Directory to be; I set mine to
7. Tell Cygwin how you connect to the internet; the default is "Direct
8. Wait a few seconds for the installer to download the list of sites; then
9a. Once again give the installer time to download a file, and then activate
9b. Make sure the radio button that reads "Curr" is checked.
9c. Press <Up-Arrow> and <Down-Arrow> to navigate to the line that says
9d. Go to the line that says "Devel Default" and once again left-click on
9e. Go to the line that reads "Doc Default" and look above that line for a
9f. on the line that reads ""Editors Default", click on the "D" in "Default"
9g. Click on the graphic again (the number seems to be random) until the
9h. Click on the same graphic as before to scroll down until you see the
10. Wait for everything to install; it took me 48 minutes for everything to
11. Once it has finished, it will put you on the finish screen; <tab> until
12. Go to your desktop and press <enter> on the "Cygwin" icon.
13. Wait for the setup to finish, and you're dun, you now have a copy of
Setting Up Cygwin for Rockbox:
1. Once again press <enter> on the setup.exe file.
2. Press <enter> on "Run".
3. Press <Alt+N> 5 times.
4. <Tab> once and type in "http://download.rockbox.org/cygwin/" in the "User
5. <Tab> and press <enter> on the "Add..." button.
6. Tab back to the selection box and press <End> to select the
7. Press <Alt-N>.
8. Wait a second for a file to download, and activate your Jaws curser (or
9. Go to the line that reads "All Default" and left-click on the "D" in
10. Press <Alt+N>.
11. Wait for things to download and install; it took me 20 minutes.
12. Tab to the "finish" button and hit <enter>.
13. Go to your desktop and press <enter> on the Cygwin Icon.
Adding the Cross Compiler Directory to Your Path:
We need to make sure that the cross compiler directory is in your path, so
Check /etc/profile. From with in Cygwin,
1. Type in <nano /etc/profile>. The "nano" command tells Cygwin that we want
2a. Go down until you see the line
2b. change it so it reads
3. Press <ctrl+X> to exit. Press <y> when it asks if you want to save, and
4. Restart Cygwin by typing "exit" and pressing <enter> on the icon again.
This is the point we have been working for; here you will compile rockbox
1. We must first get the source files from svn; type in
"svn co svn://svn.rockbox.org/rockbox/trunk rockbox". The last rockbox there
2. to see what files and folders there are in your active directory, type in
3. To change to that folder, type "cd rockbox/" where rockbox is what ever
4. Make a new folder where you will compile rockbox and voice files. Use the
5. Change to that folder with the "cd myBuild/" command, where myBuild is
6. Type in "../tools/configure" and press <enter> to start the compile
7. type in the platform number that you want to make. For example, "22" for
8. Next it asks for the size of your ram; it may not do this for all
9. type "n" for a normal build when it asks you what build would you like to
10. Type in "make" and sit back for a few minutes wile rockbox is being
11. Once it is finished compiling, type in "make zip" and wait for another
12. After that, type "mv ~/rockbox/myBuild/rockbox.zip ~" to move the new
13. Using Windows explorer, go to "C:\cygwin\home\User" where User is your
Making Voice Files:
Here is how to make voice files; you will need Lame, so here is how to get
1. Download the source version of Lame at
2. Save it to your desktop.
3. Using windows explorer, move the file you just downloaded to your home
4. Start Cygwin.
5. Type "tar -xzvf lame-3.97.tar.gz" to unzip it.
6. Type "cd lame-3.97"
7. Type "./configure"
8. Wait until it configures.
9. Ignore the warnings and errors.
10. Type "make".
11. Wait a few moments.
12. Type "make install".
13. Go back to your home directory by typing "cd".
14. Go in to your rockbox directory by typing "cd rockbox/" (see the section
15. Go in to the directory where you build rockbox from source; "cd myBuild"
16. Type in "../tools/configure" and press <enter> to start the compile
17. Type in the platform number that you want to make. For example, "22" for
18. Next it asks for the size of your ram; it may not do this for all
19. type "a" for advanced, and press <enter>.
20. Type "v" for voice, and press <enter>.
21. Press <enter> when it says "voice build selected".
22. When it asks what language, press <enter> for English, or the number for
23. When it says "flite: Command not found. espeak: Command not found.
24. when it says "Enter sapi5 options (enter for defaults ""):" just press
25. When it says "Enter lame options (enter for defaults "--resample 12 -t
-vbr-new"):" just hit <enter> again.
26. wait for it to create the make file.
27. Type "make voice".
28. Wait for it to make the voice.
29. Type "mv ~/rockbox/myBuild/English.voice ~" to move it to your home
30. With windows explorer, go to your home directory and grab the file.
31. You're dun! Put it on your player, and enjoy.
Feel free to email me at Sean p m <at> triad <dot> rr <dot> com with any
Thanks to the people on the Rockbox mailing list that helped me out.
Also thanks to the people that worked on
Page was last modified "Jan 10 2012" The Rockbox Crew