Subject: Re: Top-Posting, Vis-a-Vis Last Night's Fuss

Re: Top-Posting, Vis-a-Vis Last Night's Fuss

From: Henning Oschwald <listmail_at_hoschwald.de>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 19:35:15 +0200

On Mo, Aug 27 2007, Mike Miller wrote:

> Top posting can be easier to read _if_ you know the entire context;
[...]
> I assume that the reason it's easier for the blind is that waiting for
> the screen reader to go through the entire quoted messages takes quite
> a while.

Most screenreaders are able to jump to the next paragraph with a
short-cut. If one doesn't want to read a cited pparagraph, he can simply
move to the next uncited part.

> Are there screen readers that are intelligent enough to identify
> quoted text and skip it automatically (or allow the user to skip it)?

For Win**ws users e.g. there are Jaws-Scripts for the mail program 'The
Bat", which lets the Screenreader read cited Text with a different voice
than the default one. Jumping to the next not-cited paragraph is also
possible.

IMHO, using a screenreader is not an excuse for top-posting.

> For comparison, gmail can do that (although the header of the
> replied-to message is not hidden by default)

Gnus (which I'm using myself) also can do that.

  Henning