Subject: Re: Top-Posting, Vis-a-Vis Last Night's Fuss

Re: Top-Posting, Vis-a-Vis Last Night's Fuss

From: Stephan Seitz <nur-ab-sal_at_gmx.de>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 00:35:34 +0200

On Mon, Aug 27, 2007 at 11:01:14PM -0500, Christopher Chaltain wrote:
> I could be wrong, but I still think that there are plenty of situations
> where there's nothing wrong with top posting, and in fact, it's
> preferable. If you have a better argument for why top posting serves

Hm, when you speak of using top posting, do you mean to include the whole
message again as quoted material?

If yes you have a good argument against top posting. It makes the mails
bigger and bigger wasting bandwidth and CPU time (spam/virus scanning).
The archive problem was already mentioned.

Of course top posting is easier for the writer. But normally you don’t
write your mails for the sake of writing. You wish that other will read
it, so you should use a form that it will be easy to read.

In my experience the probability that a mail from a top poster is
confused (to which question belongs this answer?) or missing answers is
much higher than a mail from a bottom/inline poster. That is mostly
because the latter is going to trim the quoted message up to down and to
write the answers/comments at the fitting parts.

Shade and sweet water!

        Stephan

--
| Stephan Seitz                    E-Mail: Nur-Ab-Sal_at_gmx.de |
| PGP Public Keys: http://fsing.rootsland.net/~stse/pgp.html |