Subject: Re: voicebox creation or some updated method

Re: voicebox creation or some updated method

From: Brian Wolven <bcwolven_at_jhu.edu>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 14:20:23 -0400

kim wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I realize that sygwin is the way to go when using voices or generating
> them. However, I'm using voicebox at the moment. It works well, except
> that it won't pick up my other non-microsoft voices for some reason. Can
> anyone lend me some assistance? I am changing the default voice in the
> control pannel of windows, which worked for someone else I know. The
> voices for the .talk clips are using microsoft mary I think, no matter
> what my default voice is.
> Thanks,
> Kim

Kim,
   There are two different types of "voices" used by Rockbox. The first
type is used to voice the menus. It needs to be updated to match the
particular build of rockbox you are using (menus change!), and is best
built using linux or cygwin/windows.

   The second type of "voice" is the .talk clips that rockbox can use to
speak the names of files and folders on your player. These voices depend
only on *your* files, and are, in a sense, independent of rockbox
(except that rockbox is, of course, the only firmware that can use
them!). The .talk clips can be generated by the voicebox scripts (or
HTA, depending on how you use it), but voicebox can only use SAPI5
voices. If you have other voices installed that use the older SAPI4
format, they won't be recognized or used, at least with the voicebox
scripts that I worked on.

  I think someone has added support for SAPI4 voices in one of the voice
generation scripts, but I think it was only for the first type
(rockbox-specific menu voices).

***SAPI = speech application program interface, or something like that...