Subject: Re: Sansa e260 & OGG

Re: Sansa e260 & OGG

From: Charles philip Chan <cpchan_at_sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 21:40:40 -0400

"Paul Hannah" <pkhannah_at_gmail.com> writes:

I have no problems with Vorbis files at all.

> First the ogg files don't appear in the database at all.

Have you initialized and updated the db?

> Second, when I play them via the file menu, it appears that the player
> can't handle the decoding -- about every 20s or so there is a 1/2s
> pause, and the interface is obviously being slowed (I'm using the
> 'text' theme and the obvious thing is the level meters.)

Strange, it sounds like something is broken with your encoder. FYI,
Vorbis, together with mp3, are the most supported lossy codecs in
Rockox.

> In case it matters, they are encoded using Sound Juicer with all
> default settings (actually it was encoded on a virgin install of gutsy
> tribe 5.

I don't use Sound Juicer, so I am not sure if it is broken. I use a
version of oggenc linked against the Aotuv branch of libvorbis:

http://www.geocities.jp/aoyoume/aotuv/

From the commandline and with grip.

> The id3 information apart from genre was automatically entered.

This might be your problem. Ogg Vorbis files doesn't use id3 tags, but
Vorbis comments. Some bad programs will try to embed id3 tags in the Ogg
container, which will produce broken files.

I see that you are using an e260. You might be interested in my
unofficial builds for the e200 target located here:

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=72

Charles