Subject: Re: Sansa e200/e200R keymap change.

Re: Sansa e200/e200R keymap change.

From: Sander Sweers <sander.sweers_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2007 21:05:06 +0100

Thirst, You really need to calm down. If you ask feedback and don't like
it that is your problem not mine. I have the feeling that many people
complained and you are taking it out on me now! You should think for
yourself that if soo many people complained, maybe it is not the best
layout for this target.

On do, 2007-11-08 at 11:59 -0600, Paul Louden wrote:

> > In the old layout the REC button did exactly what it said, go the
> > recording screen. Now it take an extra 2 finger movements.
>
> What on Earth are you talking about? The Recording button was not
> changed in the keymap change. You can see this clearly in the diff.
> Please, if you're going to complain, please be using an official build
> containing no patches. I don't know what you're using, but the record
> button was not modified by my keymap change patch.

I am sure it was there a couple of weeks ago. Maybe it was not your
change.

> As for the total number of finger movements, as I moved the context menu
> to the select button, it now takes less average distance moved since
> it's always immediately contiguous to where your finger is on the wheel.

I never mentioned the context menu, only the main menu.

> The only function that has moved further from where your finger
> generally is is the "Stop" function, while both "Context Menu" and "Main
> Menu" are mathematically on average nearer to your finger requiring less
> repetitive movement. This isn't really something you can disagree with
> objective, these are very easy things to measure.

It is if you have not read what it said at all about the main menu and
stop button..... Also disregarding the label beside the button. But for
you I'll repeat it.

When the menu was on the on of on/off button my thumb is placed directly
above it when I hold the sansa. Now I have to curve it unnaturally to
reach the main menu. The main menu button is for me the most accessed
button.

> Seriously, please stop complaining about the fact that this makes it
> like other targets' keymaps. One of the reason other targets HAVE the
> button map they do is that it is a good and useful one.

I don't disagree with that it is useful on the "other" targets but for
this one imo it is not.

> If you sit down at a computer, no matter what the mouse looks like, and
> there are some crazy designs, you know that if it has two buttons one
> will be "Left Click" and one will be "Right Click".

So it makes sense to you that a button labeled menu does not bring you
into the menu?

> The only reason not to implement it is "People are
> already used to the other keymap" and I suspect that after a little
> longer than a mere week many of you will be quite used to this one as
> well.

No this is not the only reason. I own an ipod nano, Iriver H120, Iriver
H340 and now the sansa. So I am pretty familiar with how the layout is.
On all those players I find the layout perfectly reasonable and I have
no complaints but only on the Sansa it just feels wrong to me.

> But judging from the fact that over half the people who've commented
> negatively on the remapping both here and the forum have gotten what has
> changed wrong,

I actually like that the context menu is now on the middle button as I
expected it to be there. But I hardly ever am in this screen. As I
already mentioned before the down (now menu button) is harder to reach.

> I'm really having a very hard time respecting your
> opinions at all, as it seems like the more important part to you is
> complaining about it, rather than actually having any clue what I
> changed.

Read it again for yourself and then decide if this was called for or
not. I feel deeply offended by this and next time you ask for any
feedback you will not get any from me again.

Greets
Sander