Subject: Re: speex

Re: speex

From: Onj <onj_at_AndreLouis.COM>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 19:18:39 -0000

On Monday, November 19, 2007 7:01 PM,
Thom Johansen happened to mention in passing:

> Have you tried the 32 kHz mode? I didn't find the improvement to be as
> big as I'd expected.
>
> Thom

No sir, I haven't. I wasn't sure how to get there. Is that in the -q
setting? Also, is there a very quick & dirty listing of the q and c modes?
I know you mentioned them on this list, but maybe a small table that says
q1 = such and such, and q10 is such and such.
I've decided that I would modify my voiceBox.wsf with the -q 10 and -c 10
switches as well, and I did this because my drive's cluster size is 32 KB
so even my longest _dirname.talk which is probably speeking something like
'[1973] Les Granges Brulees' is only 8.7 kb, so as long as all talk clips
are below 32 kb, I can still have the highest speex settings and not lose
any more hd space than I otherwise would.
Just a hint to anyone wanting to make voiced directory clips actually. For
the best quality modify voiceBox.wsf and do a search for '-q'
and change it to -q 10.

Hope that helps.