Subject: Re: speex

Re: speex

From: Onj <onj_at_AndreLouis.COM>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 19:45:07 -0000

On Monday, November 19, 2007 7:32 PM,
Thom Johansen happened to mention in passing:

> Right now, rbspeexenc always uses wideband mode, which uses a 16 kHz
> sample rate. To test out ultra-wideband mode (32 kHz), you pretty much
> need to use the official speexenc binary. Just feed it any 32 kHz file,
> and it will encode it to a UWB mode .spx file which you can listen to
> on any Speex capable player (including Rockbox).
> All the "-q" levels generate the same sample rate file and use the
> same encoding mode. The difference is really just in how many bits each
> frame of samples gets.
>
> Thom

I will have to play with that at some point. I have noticed that even
though I'm using a 16 K voice for the menus and a 16 K voice for my voice
clips, the voice clips alias a lot more. Is the voicebox script slightly
different in it's construction, from the stuff under say, Cygwin? I'm not
sure why it sounds the way it does, but I'm trying to track down the
problem.
Even when I used the same voice to make talk clips as I did for the menus
with -q 10 and -c 10, the talk clips aliased but the menu voice did not.

Oh and I forgot to mention which I should probably do in a different
thread, that I've added GigabeteF voices and Sansa E200 to my list so
that's now 8 targets.