Subject: Re: starting over again with rockbox

Re: starting over again with rockbox

From: Kane Brolin <kbrolin65_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 18:10:59 -0500

Since my iPod is similar to yours, I'll attempt to answer your
questions. In ccase you're still confused, write me privately at
kbrolin65_at_gmail.com.

On 1/8/08, Leonard Morris <lmorris1953_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> I have an Ipod video 60GB 5.5 generation that I put rockbox on. The dude has
> never spoken a word so I got frustrated and decided to start all over again
> including restoring the Ipod back to factory settings on the computer with
> sighted assistance.

Leonard, restoring isn't a bad thing. Even since my iPod started
working with Rockbox, I've done this a couple of times when I received
too many errors or file transfer glitches. Of course, you want to be
sure you've saved any files placed on the iPod to a backup location
prior to restoring, because all content present on the iPod prior to
your restore process will be erased. You probably already knew that.

> 1. I was using the win32 installer rbutilqt-1.0.3pre.zip package dated
> 11/13/2007 is that one ok for my Ipod model, or should I be using a
> different package?

The one I always have used is found at
http://download.rockbox.org/bootloader/ipod/ipodpatcher/win32/ipodpatcher.exe

> 2. I got the voice ipodvideo-20080108-english.voice which I think I have to
> rename english.voice and place it in the langs folder is this the correct
> voice?

Yes, it's the correct voice as long as you're using the most
up-to-date version of Rockbox, which also should be dated 8 January,
2008.

> 3. Anything else I should be doing just holla back and let me know. Thanks.

Leonard, if you want to have Rockbox speak the names of your files as
you navigate through them with the scroll wheel, you'll need either to
create spoken-word .Talk clips or to have your computer generate these
automatically using Windows XP's or Vista's text-to-speech engine. If
you do the latter, as I do, you'll need to use a program called
Voicebox+ to generate these .Talk clips.

This past Saturday, 5 January, I uploaded my basic tutorial on
installing and running Rockbox on the iPod Video to this newsgroup.
Look at that document if you need more details, or write to me
privately and I can send it to you in MS Word. I too am a totally
blind iPod user and successfully been employing Rockbox for about six
months.

-Kane