Subject: Re: wps context menu

Re: wps context menu

From: Andrew Hart <ahart_at_dim.uchile.cl>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 12:43:44 -0300

> Pondlife wrote:
> I'd very much like this to be fixed. There have been proposals to
> rework
> the entire audio output stage as a "mixer" device (which is running all
> of
> the time), and have pause only stop the music output, rather than the
> whole
> thing, but (a) it's a lot of work and (b) it may have a negative effect
> on
> battery life.

Concerning the battery life, wouldn't it be pussible to shut down the
mixer when there is only one active source streaming data to it? Thus,
the actual mixing operation would be by-passed and the data passed
through without any further processing. In this way, extra power
requirements for running a mixing stage could be minimized. And the
output buffer could still be stopped when the mixing stage has no data
to send it (no data being equivalent to no throughput or constant
waveform). I don't t know if this kind of scheme would generate
unwanted clicks/pops in the output.

Cheers,
Andrew.