Subject: Re: Iaudio D2 future.

Re: Iaudio D2 future.

From: Rob Purchase <rob.purchase_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 18:53:53 +0000

(First of all, apologies if this post breaks the threading. I don't have the
original mail to reply to, as I read it on the web before subscribing to the
list)

Frans Grotepass wrote:

> After some thought, I am rather considering a new player. The D2 has nice
> specs from the factory and there is some although still vapour future for a
> rockbox port. I can survive a few months on factory firmware before the port
> is working. The only worry I have is the SD extension. At this stage the
> standard firmware only supports 4GB. Will a future rockbox port have the
> possibility of supporting bigger cards? I assume it will be the case, since
> 4GB is SDHC.:That will make the player suitable for my requirements. This
> player also has standard SD slot, which will come in the bigger sizes
> earlier.

The D2 retail firmware does in fact support SDHC out-of-the-box. There are
plenty of reports over at the iAudiophile forums of people using upto 16Gb
cards successfully. Any future Rockbox port should also support SDHC.

"A few months" is probably rather optimistic for a usable port, especially
one that includes working SD card support. In the meantime, the D2 is a nice
piece of hardware and the retail firmware is not *that* terrible: it has good
codec support at least (Ogg, FLAC, etc).

But I wouldn't buy a player based purely on "vapourware" Rockbox support...

Rob.