Subject: Re: I think I bricked my sansa e280.

Re: I think I bricked my sansa e280.

From: Josh Drizin <krazykit_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 13:15:25 -0500

> Welcome to recovery mode
> The device does not show up anywhere on the desktop (only in disk
> tools, which does not allow any copying TO a drive...except for the
> "restore" function).

Well, we're getting there! The fact that you're in recovery mode is a
good thing. That it does not show up on the desktop is a little
strange. Google suggests that Disk Utility may be able to mount the
device (I'm not familiar with it though).

Alternatively, you could mount it the command-line way, something to
the effect of "mount -t vfat /dev/disk?s1 /mnt/somewhere". The exact
command will slightly differ, depending on your system: on a laptop, I
would *guess* that it will be /dev/disk2s1, but that assumes that the
sansa is the only thing plugged in. You'd need to make a directory in
/mnt (does OSX even use this? I don't really know. You can do this
with "sudo mkdir /some/directory_name") and replace /mnt/somewhere
with that path.

Once it's mounted, you should be able to copy the .mi4 to the player
(you may need to put an empty file called sansa.fmt there first, to
restore the partitions, then get back into recovery mode and copy the
mi4.)