dev builds
themes manual
device status forums
mailing lists
IRC bugs
dev guide

Rockbox mail archive

Subject: Re: Any suggestions for (preferably) UK-based, quality headphone socket repairers?

Re: Any suggestions for (preferably) UK-based, quality headphone socket repairers?

From: Onj <onj_at_AndreLouis.COM>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 09:14:36 -0000

You could use the line out jack, it's a bit hotter actually, and you'll
have to turn it down because if you don't it will clip some, but I've got
an H140 and it works just fine.
I was on the bus with my girlfriend the other day and I had headphones in
line out, she had headphones in the headphone socket and it was an easy way
of sharing the signal. Just a thought.
Till you either can find a new PCB on ebay or some such, or find a
different work-around. Hope that helps.

On Friday, March 07, 2008 3:58 AM,
Christopher Woods happened to mention in passing:

> My trusty H140 has had a lingering problem with its headphone output for
> a while now. In essence, if you don't apply a slight amount of constant
> lateral pressure to the jack while headphones are plugged in, you only
> hear the 'side' element of the mid/side signal (everything sounds
> squelchy and 'wrong', and you only hear the parts of the music which are
> mostly based in one stereo channel, so hardly any vocals at all, etc...
> I'm sure you know what I mean).
> I know it's got to be a wiring or soldering issue, either with the socket
> itself or the joints to the PCB, but the issue I have with the H140 is
> that the jack's sandwiched in the middle of the boards and it's REALLY
> fiddly to get to. I'm not an expert with a soldering iron (in fact, I'm
> godawful) and these units are harder and harder to get hold of - but
> equally, I hate the fact that my device has had to take a bout of early
> retirement because I don't want to worsen the symptoms any further.
> I saw a company that'd fix headphone socket problems for a flat fee of
> 50 once, but that was at least a year ago... Does anybody know, or can
> suggest, a repairer for this kind of problem - preferably someone in the
> UK, even more desirably in the Birmingham / West Midlands region? I'd be
> more than willing to pay a reasonable price to get the job sorted,
> because I just can't do it myself in the confidence that I'll do it well
> enough to last.
> Cheers
> Christopher
Received on 2008-03-07

Page template was last modified "Tue Sep 7 00:00:02 2021" The Rockbox Crew -- Privacy Policy