Subject: Re: Sansa: thoughts on keybindings

Re: Sansa: thoughts on keybindings

From: Arno Wald <arno.wald_at_netcologne.de>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 22:20:35 +0200

Paul Louden wrote:
> Firstly, there is a very significant difference between "Stop" and
> "Pause": While music is Paused, voice cannot function. Stop is necessary
> if one wishes to hear voice without any music.

ok, I understand.

> Stop clears the WPS because literally it is a "While Playing Screen" and
> cannot be displayed while nothing is playing. When "Paused" technically

ok.

But there is still the behaviour of the power key that it brings you one
folder up in the file system each time (if I remember it correct. I do
not have my sansa at hand right now). This would not be necessary and
feels a little bit confusing.

As necessary the power=stop key functionality is for blind users, it
could be better used for non-blind users if it only behaved as pause
key. So wouldn't it make sense to make it configurable if the power key
does stop (and leaves the WPS) or only pauses the music? Or even better
it should toggle pause/play.

If I continue this thought it leads me to the following key bindings for
  sighted users, because there is a play/pause key that could be used
for play/pause instead of the power key:

* play/pause key does play/pause _everywhere_ (ok, not in most plugins).

* power-key toggles between WPS and where you have been before.

* menu-key brings you to the first screen where you get on start up,
that also is configurable.

* long-menu-key brings you to the main menu.

* long-select pops up the context menu.

This is just an idea, but I think it would be very handy.

Ciao,
Arno.