Subject: Re: can't hard-reset ipod

Re: can't hard-reset ipod

From: Glenn Ervin <GlennErvin_at_cableone.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 19:46:30 -0500

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Jeremy Nikolai
  To: rockbox_at_cool.haxx.se
  Sent: Wednesday, June 18, 2008 7:35 PM
  Subject: can't hard-reset ipod

  I tried updating my ipod (60gb 5g video) a couple days ago to the latest daily build; after installing and restarting the bootloader comes up, stops at "Rockbox loaded", and won't respond to anything, including a hard reset. If I run the battery out and reset from the dead battery charging screen, it responds (going back to that screen) - and if I leave it charging for a few minutes (but still on the dead battery screen), I can do a hard reset, get an apple logo, "Loading original firmware...", and it stays there... and I'm running out of ideas.

  As it is now, I have no way of getting into usb mode, and I think it might be bricked... I've been using rockbox for years, updating every few months, and never had any trouble updating (or recovering from a bad update) before... Any ideas, or anyone seen this before?

  **** Hi Jeremy,
  Do you have the iTunes software installed on your computer?
  It's possible that the iTunes updated your iPod, and that puts in a new iPod boot loader, and then you cannot duel-boot. I saw this happen on a friend's iPod, and he had to run the iPod Patcher again to allow Rockbox to load.
  HTH.
  Glenn