Subject: Re: Working with a used archos jukebox 6000

Re: Working with a used archos jukebox 6000

From: Antony Stone <Antony.Stone_at_rockbox.open.source.it>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2008 16:03:20 +0100

On Sunday 06 July 2008 15:24, Paul Louden wrote:

> Dj Paddy wrote:
> > Thing is guys it comes across as being quite superior and
> > intimidating. Rules are great but humbleness (in short demand), can
> > deliver these rules in a much more palatable manner.
>
> What's intimidating about the phrase "please don't top-post to this list
> as per list etiquette"?

The context.

The fact that someone says "Thanks for the pointer to the manual, can anyone
tell me how to get Windows XP to see my device?" and gets the reply "Please
don't ask your question in that way."

> I think it was short, to the point, and polite. It's like someone saying
> "Please wipe your feet before entering" or "Please don't use flash
> photography in the museum."

I think a better example is someone who asks "Can you tell me the way to the
railway station?" and gets only the response "Please don't wear a hat in this
building." The building owner may well have a preference for people not to
wear hats, but in the absence of an answer to the question at the same time,
the reply *is* superior and initimidating, as DJ wrote.

> If you think there's a better way to deliver the message in that exact
> situation (as in, when responding without including an answer to the
> question) why not suggest a better way rather than simply saying he was
> doing it wrong, and not giving him any suggestions at all?

I would like to see such comments sent as private mail to the "offending"
poster, so that it doesn't clutter up the inboxes of everyone on the list,
and the archives of the list itself.

Antony.

--
If builders made buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first
woodpecker to come along would destroy civilisation.