Subject: RE: Obsolete step in Rockbox GUI installer, trying to contact websitewhich doesn't exist (Win32, maybe other OSes too)

RE: Obsolete step in Rockbox GUI installer, trying to contact websitewhich doesn't exist (Win32, maybe other OSes too)

From: Christopher Woods <christof_at_infinitus.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 17:51:49 +0100

> We are all awaiting the new, official theme site. So i dont
> think its usefull to mirror the old one, especially as all
> Themes on the old theme site are broken.
> The code for the new site is somewhere in rockbox svn
> repository, so it would be best, if others help to get this ready. :-)

Ah, that sounds good - but not *all* of the themes are broken, I grabbed a
fair few for my H340 and whilst a fair amount of the WPS screens are broken
some of them function perfectly (including some of the good ones!)

I was speaking to Denny (who did the DGT themes) and he said that he's not
had time to recode the WPS screen, but it's not too tough to do - if/when I
feel brave enough, I might have a crack at updating the WPS code and then
send it over to him for him to check out, but I'm not up to that at the
moment.

While it may be a relatively few number of users who use the GUI installer
for rockbox, it's still confusing to have a nondescript error appear when
you follow the recommended install process (I wasn't sure whether it had
installed 100% correctly until I finally realised what was going on) - if
the GUI can show server error messages, or download an empty .zip file or
something instead of downloading (possibly) broken themes then it might be
more useful to have some kind of feedback instead of just silently failing.

Either that, or a prominent message is displayed above the download link to
indicate that the themes download step of the full installation is currently
broken and the ETA for the new themes site is xx/xx/xxxx, just so newbies
don't get confuzzled :)