Subject: Re: Subscribed - Hello (and "testing 1, 2 3.." :)

Re: Subscribed - Hello (and "testing 1, 2 3.." :)

From: Paul Louden <paulthenerd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2008 01:20:15 -0500

Purple Dynasty wrote:

> Does the theme author have to specifically code the wps to look for
> the appropriate size .bmp file, or is this something that occurs
> automatically (and hence every album-art supporting theme will work
> properly if I save an appropriately sized (and named) .bmp)?
When specifying album art in a theme, the tag includes parameters for
the size. The size is automatically translated into a filename for
Rockbox to look for. So if a theme, in its own code, has a tag for a 100
by 100 album art image it will attempt to load cover.100x100.bmp, and if
that isn't found, attempt to load cover.bmp and crop it to the necessary
size (the cropping you see currently is a result of WPSes specifying an
album art size already).

If you want to know what size the album art should be for each of their
themes, open up the .wps file and read the album art tag. Its syntax is
described on the CustomWPS wiki page (I don't write WPSes, so I can't
quote it for you from memory).

Album art scaling IS included in some unsupported builds, but remember
that by definition we do not provide support for them, and ask that
people not ask support questions about them in the hope that other users
answer them in "official" support locations. It's difficult to prevent
misinformation about the features of Rockbox in official channels if
people ask about features or bugs that don't exist in the official version.

As well, their method for scaling doesn't necessarily represent the
final way it will be done in Rockbox. We are actively investigating
other means of having such scaling in Rockbox, as the previous patch
that was used in many unsupported builds was found to be unacceptable
'under the hood' and was rejected. There's a new patch on the tracker
that has been proposed as a starting point, though I personally don't
know if, or how, it addresses the issue.