Subject: Rockbox boot loader can't find partition

Rockbox boot loader can't find partition

From: Mark Ter Morshuizen <mark_at_itbox.co.za>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 15:37:08 +0200

Hi,

I'm having trouble getting Rockbox to boot. I've found several references to
this problem but none of the ones I've found solves the issue. (Most of them
seem to be alternative boot loaders or patched boot loaders.)

My partition table looks like this:

8<--------------------------------------------------------------
mark:~# fdisk /dev/sdb
Note: sector size is 2048 (not 512)

The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 2432.
There is nothing wrong with that, but this is larger than 1024,
and could in certain setups cause problems with:
1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., old versions of LILO)
2) booting and partitioning software from other OSs
   (e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)

Command (m for help): p

Disk /dev/sdb: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 2432 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 2048 = 32901120 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x4e1fa375

   Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdb1 1 5 160524 0 Empty <***********
/dev/sdb2 6 2432 77979510 b W95 FAT32 <***********
8<------------------------------------------------------------------

I ran ipodpatcher like this:

8<-------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark:~# ./ipodpatcher
ipodpatcher v2.0 with v2.0 bootloaders - (C) Dave Chapman 2006-2007

[INFO] Scanning disk devices...
[INFO] Ipod found - Video (aka 5th Generation) ("winpod") - /dev/sdb
[INFO] Reading partition table from /dev/sdb
[INFO] Sector size is 2048 bytes
[INFO] Part Start Sector End Sector Size (MB) Type
[INFO] 0 63 80324 156.8 Empty (0x00) <********
[INFO] 1 80325 39070079 76151.9 W95 FAT32 (0x0b)<*****
[INFO] Ipod model: Video (aka 5th Generation) ("winpod")
Enter i to install the Rockbox bootloader, u to uninstall
 or c to cancel and do nothing (i/u/c) :i
[INFO] Using internal bootloader - 50136 bytes
[INFO] Reading original firmware...
[INFO] Wrote 7553024 bytes to firmware partition
[INFO] Bootloader installed successfully.
Press ENTER to exit ipodpatcher :
8<----------------------------------------------------------------------------

With this result:

8<----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rockbox boot loader
Version: 2.0
IPOD version: 0xFFFFFFFF
Toshiba MK8010GAH
No partition found
Hold MENU+SELECT to reboot
then SELECT+PLAY for disk mode

I tried the windows version of the boot loader for good measure but it has the
same results.
Can someone please point me at what I'm doing wrong? Why do the sector counts
look different between linux fdisk and the bootloader installer? (<********)

Thanks,
--
Mark Ter Morshuizen