Subject: Re: Audible files in Rockbox?

Re: Audible files in Rockbox?

From: Mark Allums <mark_at_allums.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 13:53:46 -0600

Paul Louden wrote:
> Daryl Marie wrote:
>>
>> I an't sure if these were drm-encumbered files... is there a way to
>> convert them?
>> D-M
>
> They are DRM encumbered, and removing the DRM would violate your service
> agreement with audible.

Removing the DRM is not immoral, and not illegal everywhere. People who
lie to Audible for the purpose of defeating DRM could be violating terms
of service, but if there is no risk of enforcement by Audible, it is a
matter of conscience for the customer.

I do not encourage people to break the law, and I certainly would hope
that the people thinking about it would not pirate the file by giving it
to others (and hope they had sense enough not to, since the sound is
almost certainly watermarked), but I see nothing wrong with removing DRM
for personal private use in any jurisdiction where is not illegal to do
so, as it may be in the US (DMCA).

It is helpful to remind people that it may violate terms of service, but
  please don't ask people not to ask questions about it. It is useful
to know the answer. Sort of like knowing something about weapons of
mass destruction. Dangerous knowledge, perhaps, but not much use trying
to prevent its spread.

An interesting thing: Apple told people exactly how to get around their
own DRM and convert protected AAC/m4p files to mp3s, before they started
removing DRM from the songs that they were allowed by the record
companies to do so to.

Mark Allums