Subject: Re: Rockbox and voice files

Re: Rockbox and voice files

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 11:40:41 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008, alex wallis wrote:

>> I strongly disagree. Staying legal and having everything license-wise and
>> copyright-wise fine and dandy is crucial to this project's existance and is
>> a foundation we build on. And it keeps the legal threats to a minimum.

> Has the project ever had any actual legal threats though? for example from
> mp3 player makers who might be anoyed there players have been opened up and
> analysed to find out how they work in order to port rockbox to it.

Yes, we have received legal threats several times. And we have complied at
least partly to them all. (After having seeked and used professional legal
advice.)

But not from any mp3 player maker, as we've not done anything that they have a
reason to react that way about.

And since we're not a legal entity or organization of any kind in any country
or jurisdiction, the ones who get the threats are the individual humans who
own the domain, the server or similar.

> as for the million downloads per year, how many of those are new users? and
> how many of those are people just keeping there rockbox up to date? just
> curious.

If that would be possible to figure out I would tell you...

--
  / daniel.haxx.se