Subject: Re: H340 HDD spinning constantly in USB mode? (and general disk spintime question)

Re: H340 HDD spinning constantly in USB mode? (and general disk spintime question)

From: Mike Hodson <mystica_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 09:08:26 -0700

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 2:49 AM, Christopher Woods
<christof_at_infinitus.co.uk> wrote:
> All interesting responses, thanks (and it's also clarified the exact meaning
> of the anti-skip buffer for me too :)
>
> Does anybody know the answer to my second question, why the drive is
> constantly spinning in USB mode? I plugged my H340 into a standalone USB
> charger (the one for my smartphone, in fact) which is just a little wall
> wart and a regular Mini USB plug on the other end of the cable. The H340
> charged up fine, but it went into USB mode as soon as the cable was attached
> (as you'd expect) but the hard drive STILL span for hours and hours and
> hours until I unplugged it.

To work around this as well as listen as you keep the player powered
(say from a car lighter adapter USB plug on a road trip) you can also
hit the AB button as you plug the charger in, and it won't go into
data mode. Just make sure you have "charge from USB" enabled, and you
should be golden. I was about to recommend charging from the OF after
"powering off" (going into the iRiver blue-bar charging screen) but
this seems to work much easier. I see the charging bar animating
right now, and no HDD access!

This works with firmware from August.. I haven't upgraded in a while.
AFAIK this hasn't been changed since, as I upgraded specifically to a
current-build revision that made the button sequence AB and not Rec.
If it no longer works on 3.0 or the most recent Current, please let us
know.

Mike