Subject: Re: Software "Off" switch?

Re: Software "Off" switch?

From: Jacob Rau <jacob.rau_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2008 18:22:09 -0500

> Then how does the "power" key fail you, exactly? This is exactly what I
> fail to understand. How is selecting a menu item *more* reliable than
> holding a single button, when both of them are just that: a button press?

I will add my two cents to this conversation.

The problem I have with powering off is that I can only power down if I
press _ONLY_ the power button, causing no other button presses/control
events (spinning the wheel, pressing previous/next/select...). This
applies to both targets I've used in my history: the iPod nano and the
Sansa e200 series.

Why is this a problem? For a few reasons: for both targets, buttons are
close together, so they are easy to mash. On the iPod, the wheel can
click left/right unless the user is VERY careful to press firmly and
stably. On the Sansa, the power button is _very_ stiff and close to
other buttons.

On both targets, getting the fsking player to shut down is frustrating!
The original firmware of both players handles it much more naturally,
not caring about other button presses and requiring a much shorter
button press to achieve shutdown. In RB, it generally takes 2-3 tries
(on both targets) to get it to shut down. IMO, that's a clear indicator
that something is wrong.

Personally, I don't care about a menu item. I just would like to see the
power down function fixed.

Jacob