Subject: Re: Software "Off" switch?

Re: Software "Off" switch?

From: Robert Keevil <rkeevil_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 17:57:06 -0600

2008/12/3 Paul Louden <paulthenerd_at_gmail.com>

> I'm more or less neutral on the idea. I don't feel a "Reboot" option is at
> all necessary (any time the player needs rebooted by Rockbox, it should
> prompt the user if they wish to reboot in my opinion).

The only arguments I can think of for the reboot option are:
When rebooting to the OF, it means you don't have to wait for the HDD to
spin down (AFAIK should reduce wear?) before powering back up again (I know,
RB is a complete replacement and access to the OF shouldn't be needed...)
It gives the users an explicit method to reboot their players - I seem to
remember cases where users have done a hard reboot instead of shutting down
cleanly?

But I wanted to understand why people feel a shutdown option is necessary or
> particularly useful, and so far it mostly seems to boil down to "I'd rather
> navigate a menu for a couple seconds than hold a button for a couple
> seconds." Even in the few cases where navigating a menu is shorter time
> wise, it seems to me at least that using the single button can be done with
> much less 'active' involvement with the player.

Agreed - purely personal preference.