Subject: Re: Software "Off" switch?

Re: Software "Off" switch?

From: Paul Louden <paulthenerd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2008 20:13:18 -0600

Mike Hodson wrote:

> or just removing the
> player entirely to turn on hold.
Considering the original topic of the thread is a software shutdown
option in the menu, this would certainly require even more maneuvering
than simply pausing and putting on hold. Meanwhile the Apple firmware
wakes up from a press on Menu or Select. One of these is almost
guaranteed to be pressed if anything of considerable size bumps the face
of the player. So basically, if you're shut down you need "Hold" enabled
anyway to prevent accidental power ons.
>> 24-48 hours, not indefinitely. During which time the power continues to
>> drain, albeit slowly. Just pick a reasonable idle time in Rockbox and if
>> you're back in time, the idle power cost is almost trivial.

I'm not sure I understand your point here. "..." doesn't convey any
information I can actually derive something from. Was that a "I'm silent
because I wasn't aware it wasn't indefinite" or silence because you
disbelieve my information, or something else?

> I for one wouldn't mind seeing such a mode.

Sadly, the people interested in such a mode rarely step forward to do
the work, which is the main reason why such a mode doesn't exist, I suspect.