Subject: Re: Update #19374

Re: Update #19374

From: Paul Louden <paulthenerd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 21:01:21 -0600

Purple Dynasty wrote:
> Not knowing for a fact that this referred to album art, I had some
> doubt of my own observations. I guess you could accuse me of not
> looking in the right place (and you actually DID in an off-hand way),
> but I don't think that its reasonable to assume that everyone who
> downloads nightly builds will also check the major changes page. If
> you don't agree, I don't care - you've already proven to be
> unreasonable and rude.
Since you won't be reading this, I offer this information for the
benefit of other list subscribers: A wiki page exists called
MajorChanges. It contains an attempt at a user-understandable list of
new features, significant bug fixes, and improvements. It even has an
RSS feed, and is an excellent way to keep track of what new features are
going in. With this list, as with elsewhere, we expect you to have read
the appropriate documentation (Manual for questions about how to enable
features, wiki for various other questions, etc) before asking on here,
so please do.

> Mr. Louden - please don't answer any further queries from me in the
> future. I'd rather maintain discourse with others on the list that
> share their information and questions willingly.

As I don't know how to get this information to you directly at this
point, I'll just state my opinion on this as well. At no point is
/anyone/ obligated to answer all questions in a statement. You posted
about a bug, and I asked you for more information about it. No user
should ever, ever complain about someone not answering their questions,
as you did. I'm not obligated to spend my time typing responses to your
questions when the answers are already publicly available. Instead, I
asked questions I felt would most benefit the Rockbox project, that is
trying to find out more about the bug and get information about it put
in the right place.
> As for your last statement - "If I'm asking you for a bug report..." -
> I asked you a question, you in turn took it upon yourself to withhold
> information and requested further information from me in an accusatory
> manner.
I took it upon myself to ask for a proper bug report. At no point am I
obligated to answer your questions, and the information was available
publicly so nothing was withheld.
> Mr. Louden - please don't restate your opinion of this dialog, my
> email filters are being set accordingly. I'm sure others on the list
> aren't interested in another demonstration of your heavy-handedness.

I'm responding to this so others on the list are at least aware, nobody
is obligated to answer all or any of their questions at any time, and
requests for bug reports if you mention a bug that's not on the tracker
are to be expected, and should not be considered "unreasonable."
> I'm really surprised that I haven't read a single post in the last 48
> hours from others using current builds regarding album art resizing.
> How does it appear to be working on your installs? I know this list is
> moderated without desire for continued dialog on ANY topic, but can I
> hear a "YAY" it looks good, or "NAY" it broke my themes, or even an "I
> hate album art". :)
Please, don't do this. This list is for technical issues and user
support, not a social list. If you have problems with it, they're
welcome (though bugs should, as always, be reported in the right place)
but we don't need dozens of emails of people just saying "I'm glad album
art finally scales."