Subject: RE: Archos / missing file system

RE: Archos / missing file system

From: Jammit Timmaj <jammit999_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 15:46:59 +0000

> Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 09:42:05 -0500
> From: viewtiful.icchan_at_gmail.com
> To: rockbox_at_cool.haxx.se
> Subject: Re: Archos / missing file system
>
> On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 8:45 PM, <cgh260247_at_aol.com> wrote:
> > I bought an old Archos Jukebox Recorder on eBay and installed an 80 GB disk
> > with the intention of loading Rockbox as I have done several times before
> > (thanks to you all!). When I connect the player to the PC it operates
> > perfectly as a USB drive and I have formatted the disk and loaded the Archos
> > driver on the disk. When I remove the USB connection it tries to boot but
> > fails reporting that it cannot find any FAT/FAT-32 formatted disk. Anyone
> > have any clues?
> >

> Did you format the drive as FAT32? Rockbox expects a FAT32 file system.

Just to clarify, Windows XP as well as Vista default to format a drive
as NTFS with the option of FAT32. You have to make sure when you format
it under WinXP or Vista that you select FAT32.

> Also, what do you mean by "loaded the Archos driver on the disk"? Did you
> copy a Rockbox build onto the disk?

I believe the software he's talking about is the software that comes
with the Archos that's just a pretty GUI for Windows that handles you
music. Something like how iTunes does it, except iTunes also can
reprogram the iPod with updates and lets you buy music from iTunes
store. I don't have an Archos, but I don't believe it needs something
loaded on it to work.