Subject: Re: Noticable Pop Between Tracks (Sansa)

Re: Noticable Pop Between Tracks (Sansa)

From: R.L. Horn <lists_at_eastcheap.org>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 15:02:20 -0600 (CST)

Paul Louden <paulthenerd_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Could you give very specific details about what conditions this occurs
> under?

What I wrote was about as specific as I can be. Nothing unusual about
settings. I probably should have said "discontinuity" instead of "pop",
however, though the result is the same. I don't believe rockbox is adding
any noise, there's just a very slight pause between tracks.

> ...does it occur on all track transitions,

I believe so, though it's not always obvious.

> replicate it.

Best advice I can give for replication is that someone play something with
uncompressed (or minimally compressed) audio content and no breaks between
tracks. Crank up the volume and use good headphones. It's really
noticable in opera recordings, with lots and lots of discrete tracks.

>> that's really noticable at the high volume levels required with the
>> pitifully underpowered Sansas.
> The Sansas aren't terribly underpowered compared to other MP3 players.

Not really on-topic, but "compared to other MP3 players" is the key
phrase. Virtually all portable players are underpowered. Good enough for
loud pop albums, but anything with any dynamic range suffers.

Needless to say, I've been watching the hardware projects with great
interest...

> How are you concatenating them? Simply concatenating MP3 files shouldn't
> result in an MP3 that plays fine unless your files are completely
> untagged.

They are once I get through with them. Specifically, I run files through
a filter that removes any non-MP3 content (including the frame-mimicing
Xing and Info tags) and streams the results.

> Could you please test with official builds from our download servers,
> rather than ones you're compiling yourself?

This has been going on since I started with the daily builds, though the
last revision I tried was especially bad (it might actually be popping).
If there's interest, I'll see about generating some test files, trying
them with prebuilts, and probably moving the discussion to the dev list.