Subject: Re: Proposal for updating/maintenance of iPod Acc. page

Re: Proposal for updating/maintenance of iPod Acc. page

From: David Hall <dmhall_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 11:36:51 -0500

On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 9:25 AM, Dave Woyciesjes
<woyciesjes_at_sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> 3 - Still need to debate the merits of (if not outright do):
>>     A - "Other" feature category in addition to the existing
>> "Charging", "Audio Out", "Remote", "Audio In".  Perhaps "Charging should
>> be dropped as the answer is always positive or NA - with the exception
>> of one - that could be replaced with a big "X" in "Other".
>
>        Well, wouldn't Other features just go under the Comments column? As
> for the Charging feature, I think it probably should stay, because it may
> not work for some reason, and it is a slightly important feature...

re: "Other"
Having a column for "other" gives the reader of the page a
quick-glance option to see if all features work or not. If "other" is
a big red X then the reader knows to read the comments.
re: "Charging"
See my argument re: Other. Charging has proven to always be a
positive answer - except one unverified case. A waste of screen space
IMHO. IF there proves to be a case where charging does not work - a
big red X in "other" would point the reader to the comments.

>>     B - Language needed to emphasize the need to test with and without
>> Accessory Power enabled - and a column is needed to report IF power is
>> needed.  No use wasting battery runtime if the accessory does not need
>> power.
>
>        As a newbie to Rockbox, I didn't know there was an option to fiddle
> with the iPod providing accessory power. I'll have to look and see what the
> default behavior is. Are newbies likely to fiddle with it, though?

They should - it might be needed to run many accessories, and is a
huge battery drain if not needed.

>>     C - "Verifier" has been filled out twice since I made this table,
>> both of those times by me.  Bloody waste of space, IMHO.
>
>        Kind of, sort of, yeah. But I can see the point of it. Shows whether
> or not it is confirmed and not just one person goofing up.

Devil's Advocate says "If someone finds conflicting data to that
published on the wiki page they can address the issue then."

--soap