Subject: Re: apology

Re: apology

From: Grant Hardy <granthardy_at_telus.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 17:00:32 -0700

> I agree about the top posting thing, but simply because I press control and
> R to reply to an e mail and start typing. I simply don't know how to
> position my mail under the previous one using Outlook. If you could give
> me
> a clue to this then I would probably start using the list again. I stopped
> writing mails because every time I did you told me off!

Paul and list,

Honestly, top posting is a great thing but there are much more
important guidelines than that, IMO. Indeed, as this gentleman has
just pointed out, there are now such stringent guidelines governing
posts to this list that, particularly for new users just needing
answers to a few quick questions, it's just not worth the trouble.

Paul, you're a terrific writer, a knowledgeable user of technology,
and a great help to the community, so I think resigning from the
project is going a bit far. Instead, I think you should focus on
cranking out tip after tip about Rockbox, rather than getting your
blood pressure too high when you notice that someone has top posted.

Honestly, in an ideal world, people would always know whether
something was a support issue or whether it was merely something that
they should look up in a manual...but this is not such a world, and
I'm sure all of us have been guilty of not reading manuals at some
point in our lives. You're of course not obligated to answer a
question if you feel it's too obvious to deserve an answer, but if
you're going to go to the trouble of producing a response,
immaculately tailored to the strict netiquette of RB posting format
guidelines, you may as well just answer the question instead of
telling someone to check it in the manual. I get a good chuckle out
of people who, for example, produce an indignant "just Google it!"
response to someone, complete with an illustrative link that will take
them to a Google search results page. The people in question always
go on about how much trouble it is when people don't take the
initiative and Google things for themselves...but then, why would they
have gone to the trouble of producing a supposedly illustrative
message complete with a Google search results link? Ironic...no?

Cheers, and happy rockboxing,

Grant