Subject: Re: apology

Re: apology

From: Christopher Chaltain <cchaltain_at_austin.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 04:07:50 -0500

On 6/21/2009 8:08 AM, Dj Paddy wrote:
> There's an interesting point raised by Leonard here. Referring
> people to the manual. this has been an age-old issue on the net.
> We've all heard the jokes and saw the quotes about RTFM. So I'm
> genuinely, no reading between lines required Just wondering lol what
> is the point in a support list? if there's a manual and all the
> information is there then why have support lists? is it for the small
> number of or large number, whichever the case may be questions that
> aren't' covered in the manual and nothing more?
> I have to throw in that I'm sure it must be frustrating for all the
> people who do genuinly put allot of work in writing things down to as
> they'lls ee have it ignored.
> Now it is true that RB could be considered not a newbie thing to be
> messing around with, because of altering firmware's and so on.
> However, with the ability to be able to use the RB utility, surely
> this is going to mean more non-technically minded folks will join
> lists such as this and not have either thought to read the manual but
> also been maybe a bit intimidated by the manual. Or as Leonard has
> mentioned here just wanted a quick-answer. I'm sure if we're all
> honest we've done this more than enough, either by laziness posted a
> list and waited rather than trying to help ourselves or simply just
> not having the resources or in some cases ability to "Google"
> answers. if everyone was able to help-themselves allot of us who have
> jobs in support would find ourselves expendable.

I thought about this myself after a few of my posts the other evening, so this may seem like I'm changing my mind on this a bit. What is the purpose of this list? If most of the answers are to read the manual or check the wiki or perform a web search then why do we need such a list? It seems like the whole point of such a list is to invite those who may need a bit more hand holding.

That being said, I try to take advantage of the manual and web searches before I ask anything on the list. Generally I don't want to wait until someone gets around to ansering my question, and I don't always want to rely on someone's potentially faulty memory. I also get a bit annoyed by some of the questions that could so easily be answered in the manual or on the web or by those people who keep asking the same questions over and over again. I'll freely admit I'm not the most patient person in the world, although I will help those who need some help to help themselves.

--
Christopher
cchaltain_at_austin.rr.com