Subject: Re: Top Posting/ Bottom Posting (was: Re: apology)

Re: Top Posting/ Bottom Posting (was: Re: apology)

From: Donald Perley <perley_at_comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 14:11:39 -0400

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 1:40 PM, Ed Nickl <pioneer4x4_at_comcast.net> wrote:

> I am often wondering why people are top-posting at all. They have to be
>> annoyed by this kind of replies too when they read them. But it seems they
>> don't even notice the difference.

Some difference likely comes from the mail program they use. Thunderbird
allows you to set the default.

Gmail defaults to top posting. On incoming mail, the quoted (prior
message) material at the bottom is hidden until you click on "show quoted
text." Between those 2 characteristics, they are implicitly pushing top
post as the norm.

A lot of people like top posting (judging from some management directives at
past jobs) because for most emails the new information will then be on the
first screen or message abstract, even on a blackberry.