Subject: Re: Top Posting/ Bottom Posting

Re: Top Posting/ Bottom Posting

From: Jürgen Hestermann <juergen.hestermann_at_gmx.de>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 07:12:01 +0200

> WJCarpenter schrieb:
> No matter what your rationale
> (and I've read a bunch of them looking for something compelling), it
> actually makes very little practical difference in your understanding of
> the content of messages.

Of course it does! I (as the reader of the message) have to first find
out where the *new* text goes. If you read lots of mails each day this
is very annoying. When you are working with an email client such as
Lotus Notes only (writer and reader!) then you always know that the
first text is the new text but this is not the case on this list. Some
repeat the whole previous message which in general is totally useless
and confusing. Text from previous messages should only be repeated in
answers if it is necessary to understand the new text (then it should
precede the text). In all other cases it is just annoying and confusing.

And that's what I don't understand: Everybody on the list must
experience this confusing mix of bottom/top/quoted posting and notice
that it's not good. But still some don't think of the readers of their
postings and lazily only want to type their text. It seems they don't
care about the reader.