Subject: Re: question about managing dynamic playlists.

Re: question about managing dynamic playlists.

From: Geert Hendrickx <ghen_at_telenet.be>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 14:28:48 +0200

On Wed, Jul 08, 2009 at 10:41:22AM +0100, alex wallis wrote:
> Wouldn't it make more logical sense to store the dynamic playlist
> information in some kind of folder perhaps where the playlist catalogue
> stores its playlists when you create them. As then if it was stored in some
> kind of logical folder called playlists or playlist info it would be obvious
> where a person should go if they wanted to copy across dynamic playlist
> information. I might start a feature request for that on the forum.
> Perhaps even better might be a patch which would allow you to set a default
> location to store a dynamic playlist when it is created so that even if you
> delete your rockbox build from the player and unzip a completely fresh
> folder your playlist information will be preserved. So you could set a
> particular location maybe remembered in your config.cfg file, and then after
> that no need to worry about losing dynamic playlist information.

The same question could be asked for configuration or any kind of dynamic data
(games highscores, ...). If they were stored outside .rockbox, one could more
easily swap between different versions of the software[*], but what would
happen if the format of the data changes? Upgrades can probably be supported,
but downgrades?

        Geert

[*] especially if an alternative path for .rockbox could be compiled into the
    kernel, then you don't have to move directories around, you could simply
    boot another kernel with another path from within rockbox.

--
Geert Hendrickx  -=-  ghen_at_telenet.be  -=-  PGP: 0xC4BB9E9F