Subject: RE: apology

RE: apology

From: Christopher Woods <christof_at_infinitus.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 03:52:16 +0100

I feel the need to voice my opinion on this. A long time ago in a galaxy
far, far away, I (foolishly) got involved in a top-/bottom-posting
discussion which got increasingly heated (and drawn out). At the time, I
didn't see the problem with top-posting, and thought some were laying down
the law a little too heavy-handedly. I now merely spectate the list because
I know that most of the traffic is related to the same issue.

I don't think people should've been called out on the list, but the rules on
the RB list are laid down by the listadmins and have always been interpreted
and followed incredibly closely. I still think the rules that specifically
relate to top- and bottom-posting should be put in big red letters on the
signup page (and/or in all-caps in the first email your receive after
signing up), then there can then be no ambiguity.

I taught myself that selectively cropping emails I'm responding to is
actually a far better thing to do than either top- or bottom-post with the
entire previous message(s) included - the least scrolling, and the more
relevant you can make your own message, the better. Mailing list software
does all the hard work of reference replies and discussions for us now, so
why is either top-posting or bottom-posting still tolerated full stop?

Please let's see the RB list return to much animated discussion about RB
features, and finally put the netiquette stuff to one side. When you even
have the more hardcore contributors like Paul Louden announcing that they're
distancing themselves from the project for exactly this kind of irrelevant
cruft, it's quite disheartening - because Rockbox really is a Quite
Excellent Thing.

Right, carry on everyone!