Re: Disk access on Insert next

From: Paul Louden <>
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 2009 12:40:34 -0500

Christopher Culver wrote:
> When, while listening to a track, I navigate through the database and
> select "Insert next..." on an item, Rockbox accesses the disk. Yet my
> database is loaded to RAM and the playing song is nowhere near
> finished, so no immediate need to preload. Why then is there disk
> access?
The song needs to be in the buffer. Whether it's loaded now or later, it
needs to be there, and you've invalidated everything past the end of the
current song anyway. Why would you expect it not to load now, when for
practical purposes now is as good as later? There's no practical way to
know you won't insert further songs, and it needs to be preloaded early
enough to ensure gapless skipping, possibly crossfade, and if it's
loaded now it can ensure that if you skip tracks it will happen in a
speedy manner.