Subject: Re: rockbox on a Sandisk e280?

Re: rockbox on a Sandisk e280?

From: erik burggraaf <rico3_at_mnsi.net>
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2009 12:22:45 -0500

Well, of course they do if you are living in the states. Ebay Canada
had boatloads of accessories, but not a single player when I looked.
Besides, none of them are going to come preloaded with rockbox. I've
never done an install of rockbox,, but you're paying for the guy's
time to set up the players, test the instalations and make sure they
go fine. And youre paying for the convenience of getting a player
that's already hacked out f the box with no research and very little
effor on your part.

It's a good deal. I don't need daisy book features enough to pay
exorbitantly for them, but the meanest dirt cheep portable talking mp3/
daisy book reader for the blind is going for about $350. It's about
3x the size and double the weight of the sansa, only has half the
battery life, comes with deplorable and highly inconfigurable speech,
is built out of plastic and walmart quality componants that you'll be
luckey to get a full year out of, and only record in mono from the
built in pickup. It doesn't come with any built in memory, or an fm
radio receiver. If you want those features in a talking mp3 player
designed with the blind in mind, you have to pay $600. I even got a
lether carying case with my sansas that I purchased from accessible
electronics. The rancid cheep talking player for the blind comes with
a clip case, but it's cheep nilon and if you cary it around for 6
months you'll be paying $30 or $40 for a new one.

So for people who need it to talk and don't want to be bothered, this
guy is offering a super good deal. I would have been tempted to do my
own hack if I could have fount an E280 for $40 or so, but to be
honest, I spend so much time looking at other peoples computers all
day that when I get home I don't really feel like doing to much with
my own. This was great. I just took it out, copied over my newest
audiobook purchase, and had something to keep my mind occupied on the
4 hour round trip to work on Fiday. It was worth it. :)

Best,