Subject: Re: rockbox 3.5, sandisk e280 and .wmv files

Re: rockbox 3.5, sandisk e280 and .wmv files

From: Charles McEvoy <charles_at_mcevoy.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 17:23:43 +0000

On Tuesday 09 Feb 2010 16:35:50 David Mehler wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm running rockbox 3.5 on a sandisk sansa e280 player. I've got some
> .wmv (Windows media video) files that i'd like to play, was wondering
> if this was doable? If not, any one know how to extract out the audio
> component of these files and save as either .ogg or .mp3?

Reading these files relies on copyright codecs from Microsoft : most desktop
distros have a way to obtain these simply and you can then use mplayer or VLC
to extract the audio or video in the format you want.
I don't know if there is a way of installing the codecs to rockbox - I don't
believe I've heard of it being done.
Charles.