Subject: Insert random directory into playlist with hotkey?

Insert random directory into playlist with hotkey?

From: Arno Wald <arno.wald_at_netcologne.de>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2010 11:03:16 +0200

Hello,

one of the cool features of rockbox is the random directory change when
the playlist has ended. (For those who did not use it yet: You have to
use the corresponding plugin to generate the folder list and choose the
setting for changing to a random (and not only the next) directory if
the playlist gets empty).

What I really would like to use is a hotkey to jump to a random
directory on demand. The currenty playlist should be erased and the new
directory should be started with the first file. Is this possible
somehow, maybe with a configuration trick?

My situation (a use case):
Sometimes I am listening to music when going to bed. With the right
music on the ears I can fall asleep very good. Because I do not want to
have the music being played all through the night I want it to stop
after finishing the currently played directory. So I cannot turn on the
random directory setting as the player would play endlessly. But I
really would like to let rockbox choose a random directory intially (or
if there is an album played that I do want to skip).

Also if you have activated the random directory feature and you turn on
the player with an empty playlist, you cannot simply press play to let
rockbox choose a random directory. Instead you only get the message that
there is nothing to resume. In this case the random-dir-hotkey would be
very interesting, too.

As I do not use my recording key on my sansa e280 this would be a really
cool hotkey function for it.

Thanks,
Arno